Going Serverless with PHP & Bref.sh
Serverless is more than just a buzzword, it's an environment where developers are in charge, doing away with the constraints of CPU power and scaling... mostly. Until recently PHP developers were left out of the most established serverless platform, Amazon Lambda. Since 2018's release of Lambda Layers however, a new tool called Bref.sh exists to let you run workloads serverless style.
This workshop will cover how to start using Bref.sh, and its main areas of operation (functions, HTTP APIs and frameworks). We'll build some basic applications but also look at how you can migrate your existing workloads.
With serverless code comes the need for serverless data storage, so we'll also introduce Amazon DynamoDB, allowing us to scale our whole application seamlessly!
- You will need an existing AWS environment and admin-level credentials for this
- It will help to have `npm`, `serverless`, `docker` and `composer` installed ahead of time, as well as PHP 7.3 or 7.4
- How to configure an environment to develop with Bref
- The best way to test and deploy Bref applications
- How to fit existing codebases into Bref
- The basics of storing data in DynamoDB, for a fully serverless stack!